Day 6…Needful things for Quilters

12 Days of Christmas 6

Day 6…Glue…I love this Roxanne Mini Glue Baste-it…not the old one with the metal needle in it…

Now what do I use it for…Well I used it twice in the last two days..

1st… I am making a new quilt with my new line  Homestead Gatherings..it has a big ol house on it with a willow tree…I used this glue to temporally hold down my bias cotton “branches” on the tree before I stitch them..

RXGL5

The second time was…. I use it on every quilt I make..I have to stitch a sleeve on to hang every quilt because it ends up in the booth at show…so I stitch a sleeve onto the back of each quilt.  The top part of the sleeve goes into the binding…The folded over edge of the bottom of the sleeve gets glued down until I can stitch it down usually after the binding is stitched…This way I don’t have to hold a quilt in my lap with pins in it holding the sleeve in place…

I threw out my glue baste-it with the needle in the top… it always was plugged…this one…never plugs up!!  Glue Baste-It  here it is on our site…

I have picked 3 winners for this drawing…they…they will receive the glue baste-it and some moda yummy fabric from my line!  They are….

LoriDecember 19, 2013 at 7:50 am

wow, a light that uses 1/2 the energy – no bulb – tri spectrum lighting – – sounds perfect to me – this is now on my list – Thanks Lisa for bringing your favorite things to our attention!

GlynisDecember 18, 2013 at 8:28 pm

My Ott light is not shining so brightly these days, I think that a new Stella light will be on my wish list.

MaryDecember 18, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Another awesome product that I do believe I can’t live without. My “birthday” list is growing everyday you post! Thanks Lisa.

Please send me your addresses…at primitivegatheringsquiltshop@yahoo.com to claim your prize!!

About these ads

115 Responses to “Day 6…Needful things for Quilters”

1. 1 Brenda Y
    December 19, 2013 at 6:54 pm

My favorite glue also, I started using this a few years ago and just love it. Have a great holiday season…

2. 2 Carol Renee
    December 19, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I didn’t know they have changed the container for Roxanne glue . I guess I haven’t been spending enough time in my local quilt shop. Look forward to your Needful Thing each day.

3. 3 Barb O
    December 19, 2013 at 6:54 pm

This sounds great! My needle is always plugged and usually ends up pulling out from the bottle,

4. December 19, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Oh I’ve been looking for a new glue! I’m currently working on one of Kim Deihl’s quilt patterns and need a good applique glue!

5. 5 Carolyn Vogel
    December 19, 2013 at 6:55 pm

A needful thing. Lots of uses for little dots of glue, rather doing cottons or wools. Thanks for the update.

6. 6 Tina McFadden
    December 19, 2013 at 6:58 pm

This is awesome. My baste it is always clogging up. Tina

7. 7 Sally Hurst
    December 19, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Something new and I love it. I use a basting glue, but it always plugs up and I have to use a pin to make the glue flow again. I definitely think I will buy this!

8. December 19, 2013 at 6:58 pm

I use this glue for wool basting, it holds so well.

9. 9 Vicki H
    December 19, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Looks like this is a must for doing applique.

10. 10 Glenda in Florida
    December 19, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I appreciate that the manufacturer could come up with an improved applicator. Thanks for keeping up informed about all these great products.

11. 11 Jackie Barron
    December 19, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Sounds like that glue has many great uses!!! I would love to try it!!!

12. 12 Rose
    December 19, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Yea! I get to pitch my old glue that always get gummed up. I have to remove the top and scoop out the glue with a toothpick. Not anymore. I bet a dab of this would even hold my wool applique in place.

13. 13 Debbie
    December 19, 2013 at 7:11 pm

This glue is wonderful for appliqué and applying binding.

14. 14 Dianek
    December 19, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Yes, I agree. I used to get so frustrated with the long metal nose and now this smaller bottle works just great.

15. 15 Cecilia
    December 19, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Thank you! I can never get a sleeve on straight! I think this will be the trick I need to start using.

16. 16 Carol Eberhardt
    December 19, 2013 at 7:19 pm

BINGO! Something I already own… But it’s the old style Roxanne’s … oh well, I can afford the new improved product! Good idea about the quilt sleeve!

17. December 19, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I love the little bottle too, but it is difficult to find in my neck of the woods. I sometimes have to pry the top off and refill it from a bigger bottle of Roxanne’s and that top isn’t all that easy to get off!

18. 18 Candee Abraham
    December 19, 2013 at 7:21 pm

So glad to know about this product. I am always stabbing myself when stitching my sleeves. Does it work on wool too?

19. 19 Denise G.
    December 19, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I had the same problem with the metal needle always plugging up. Ended up throwing it out. This looks like its going to end up on my long list of quilty things that I must have :)

20. 20 Sue kraft
    December 19, 2013 at 7:26 pm

I’ll have to check this out — I’ve been using glue baste it for years, trying all kinds of methods to keep the needle clear. I can’t appliqué without it!! Again, thanks for these needful things. I look forward to this blog every day.

December 19, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I end up using this glue for lots of different projects. It’s one of those tools you just can’t live without. Thanks for the tip on the sleeve. Merry Merry if I forget later on in this week or next. Thanks for this fun “needfull things”.

December 19, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Looks like I’m comment #20? Hey… that’s my birthday too so maybe my lucky day. :-) I have the other glue with the long needle and you’re right… it clogs and I’m always cleaning it with a thin wire and hot water. I didn’t know there was a new variety. Learning lots of things with your posts. Thanx!

23. 23 Alice Tignor
    December 19, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Love this glue! Another great suggestion to help quilters!
    Thanks

24. 24 Lynda Malloy
    December 19, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I, too, got tired of the metal needle clogging. This sounds wonderful!

25. 25 Rebecca
    December 19, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Roxanne’s is my go to basting glue, too!! I often heat set it for immediate drying. Works great!!

26. 26 Carole
    December 19, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I have never used Roxanne’s glue before. I am so tired of the metal needle on the other product that I will go to any lengths not to use glue. I will give this a try. If you recommend it, it’s gotta be good.

27. 27 Sandra
    December 19, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I did an appliqué class with Sue Garman years ago. She raved about this product and had the same comment about the metal tip version. Love this glue! It holds amazingly with a small dot. That little bottle goes a long, long way. A favorite in my sewing room.

28. 28 usairdoll
    December 19, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Yes, a good item to have. I’ve used this glue for my applique and it’s worked great. Happy Holidays!

usairdoll(at)gmail(dot)com

29. 29 Phaye
    December 19, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Love the way you glue your sleeve down. I am forever stabbing myself. Roxanne’s basting glue is the glue I use for my appliqués. Love the thin long tip. So glad that the tip does not clog. Thanks for sharing all these goodies.

30. December 19, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I am really learning so much with your daily reports if these needfuls… With all these positive comments, I will have to try this baste glue for sure… I look forward to your daily blogposts…~… Faye, carolinastitcher

31. December 19, 2013 at 8:04 pm

A new glue to use sounds great. Happy sewing.

32. 32 Marsha Gardner
    December 19, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I had no idea the tip has changed? Thanks for keeping me in the loop!

33. 33 Susan J
    December 19, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I new glue I can count on instead of getting frustrated w/the metal tip-your motions just get better and better!

34. 34 sandy
    December 19, 2013 at 8:09 pm

A great glue and anew and improved applicator. You say it’s good…it’s gotta be good. Thanks.

35. 35 Deb
    December 19, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Thanks for all your great tips!! Will try this for sure

36. 36 Patty Fowl
    December 19, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Just this week, I was trying to de- clog the needle on my current Roxanne’s Glue Baste it. Always frustrating!!

December 19, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I really like this glue too. I use it when I make celtic and stained glass quilts. It’s great for gluing down the bias strips before sewing them

December 19, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Love this glue! And a non-clog applicator makes it even better.

39. 40 KathyE
    December 19, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Sounds like everyone has the same problem with their glue!! I will definitely have to try this. I just love all your “suggestions” for things we need to have! My wish list is getting longer and longer.

40. December 19, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I have liked using this glue too.

41. 42 Ann P.
    December 19, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Had problems with mine plugging up too. Glad this improved one is available. Thanks for all the things you share with us!

42. 43 Pam Hintze
    December 19, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Thank you for another great suggestion!

43. 44 Steph M
    December 19, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Roxanne glue has been one of my favorite things for a long time. It works great on wool projects! Thanks for all your ideas and needful things you are sharing!!

44. December 19, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I discovered this also recently.. I use it a lot .. Could always use more..
    Donna

45. December 19, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I didn’t know they changed the tip on the glue container either. So much easier to use now! Thanks for sharing!

46. 47 Donna
    December 19, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Love the glue. Hate that it is usually clogged!

47. 48 Tana
    December 19, 2013 at 8:42 pm

I will be on the look out for this for sure…. Thanks so much for your daily posts! Love them.

48. 49 Cheryl Keown
    December 19, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I too have the glue with the metal needle and it is always clogged. I will definitely buy this!!

49. 50 Cindy
    December 19, 2013 at 8:51 pm

The little things like this help a lot! Thank you!

December 19, 2013 at 8:57 pm

What a great improvement! It will be in my shopping cart!! Thanks for yet another great item!!

51. 52 Karla Pickhinke
    December 19, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I love, love this glue!!

December 19, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Thank you for sharing another great product.

53. 54 Kathy Roloff
    December 19, 2013 at 9:02 pm

So glad to hear about the new and Improved Roxanne glue. I had given up on this glue because it clogged . Thanks so much!

54. 55 Emilou
    December 19, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Hi Lisa, this is the second time in the last week I have read about this glue-baste-it. And since you have actually used it, I can surely believe it is a product we should all start using. Thanks for all your wonderful ideas. Blessings and smiles, Emilou :-)

55. 56 Charmaine
    December 19, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I’d like to try this glue. It sounds like a great product!

56. 57 Cathy
    December 19, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Love Rozanne’s glue! I use it on all my appliqué projects!

December 19, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Thanks Lisa for the great information about Roxanne glue baste-it! I used to love using it but quit because of the needle point always clogging. . .excited to use it again.

58. 59 Janice McLaren
    December 19, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I love following along with your “needful tjings”. Great info.

59. 60 Lori
    December 19, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Looks like another ‘must have’–thanks for sharing this one with us

60. 61 Jane
    December 19, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I will have to try this new and improved Roxanne’ s glue. Like others, I hated unclogging the tip in order to use.

61. 62 Fay
    December 19, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Might have to give Roxanne’s glue another try. You may it sounds like a goat have with my sewing necessities. Still keeping my fingers crossed I’ll get lucky enough to win one of the great products.

62. 63 Laurie in Iowa
    December 19, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I love Roxann’es glue.

63. December 19, 2013 at 9:57 pm

I have the old metal tip glue. I didn’t know there’s a new updated glue. I will be getting this one soon, I love your idea to glue the sleeve then stitch. Thank you for sharing!!!

64. 65 Audrey
    December 19, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Glue baste it is my ‘fave’ too… I can’t stand that it clogs! Need a new one!

65. 66 DaisyS
    December 19, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I have heard great things about Roxanne glue! Will have to try it! Thanks for your tips!

66. 67 Nancy D
    December 19, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I think I really need to get in the habit of using glue more! Maybe I wouldn’t struggle so much trying to keep appliqué etc in place! Especially true since I tend not to use many pins either! And I HATE glue clogs. Must add this to my list.

67. 68 suejean1
    December 19, 2013 at 10:11 pm

A new fabric line, Homestead Gatherings!!! I can’t wait to see what new wonderful fabric you have created for us. Love the name, I am sure I will love the collection too.

68. 69 Claire
    December 19, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Love the glue and glad to hear they have improved the tip. Okay Lisa, what about this new line…houses…willow trees…come on, you’ve got to show us…please?

69. 70 Susan
    December 19, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Can’t wait to see Homestead Gatherings! I have the old type of bottle of Glue-Baste-It…..I’d love to have the new one. Thanks for the tips on how you use it.

70. 71 Maggie Reintges
    December 19, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I love Glue Baste It! That’s what I use to put my wool appliqué on the background instead of a fusible product. I love it for all my hand appliqué too because there are no pins for your thread to get caught on!

71. 72 Sheila Ek
    December 19, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I would love to try some new glue. I am always doing some kind of applique and a good glue is always handy to have. I love all your helpful information. Thanks for sharing with us.!!!

72. 73 Angelia L.
    December 19, 2013 at 10:29 pm

I have never used Roxanne Glue Baste-it and really want to try it. Sounds like I need to stay away from the bottle with the metal needle. Thank you for sharing! I certainly appreciate your tips!

73. 74 Sheila Plock
    December 19, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Wow, I thought it was just me who had all the problems with the tip on the regular bottle of glue. Tried all kinds of things to keep it unclogged. Put a pin in once and of course the glue dried and the pin was stuck. Nice to know that there is a neat new alternative.
    Sheila

74. December 19, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I love this glue too. I’m giving my list of needful things to Santa…..now off to make a bigger stocking! Happy Holidays!

75. 76 Jane Ahler
    December 19, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Sounds perfect for all those little things.mmlive the list.

76. 77 Kris Dauth
    December 19, 2013 at 10:37 pm

I’ve used this glue for several years and it works so well for applique. I wouldn’t use anything else. I’m excited to see your new fabric line.

77. December 19, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Love your idea of using the glue to hold down your pockets for hanging your quilts. Wonderful idea I will start doing for sure. Thanks!

78. 79 Kathy J
    December 19, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Love this glue – love the smaller size even more!

79. 80 Leanne
    December 19, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Thank you, thank you for this tip! I have a needle turn applique project I want to start after Christmas. I have never done a project like this before so I was wondering what glue to use to tack it down to the background. I’ll give this glue a try.
    Homestead Gatherings…love the name and I can’t wait to see fabric line and the quilt project you did with it.

80. 81 Barbara
    December 19, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I do like the glue too. Look forward to seeing your new fabric.

81. 82 Pamela Miller
    December 19, 2013 at 11:27 pm

I also have the older version of Roxanne’s Glue-baste it with the metal tip, that is always getting clogged. This looks so much better. A great improvement to an already great product!

82. 83 herkyhawk
    December 19, 2013 at 11:42 pm

I would love to try this no clog version.

Sent from Samsung tablet

83. 84 Carleen
    December 19, 2013 at 11:55 pm

I haven’t tried basting with glue….sounds like a handy helper!

84. 85 Barbara D.
    December 20, 2013 at 3:24 am

I think this could be a handy helper. I haven’t ever used glue for basting but I could see the advantages!

85. 86 Laura Lynch
    December 20, 2013 at 3:57 am

I have the metal tip Roxanne’s . . . have to run hot water through the tip every time I use it or it’s clog-city! Glad they’ve come out with a new version! Merry Christmas!!

86. 87 Mary H.
    December 20, 2013 at 5:59 am

I thought I was the only one that ALWAYS had plugged glue! I have got to get this new version. Much less frustrating for sure.

87. December 20, 2013 at 6:23 am

That glue sounds magical and I have to try it.I haven´t basting with glue I always use thread or pins.have a fun day!1

88. 89 marie
    December 20, 2013 at 6:32 am

Merry Christmas to all the staff at Primitive Gatherings!

89. 90 michelle starr
    December 20, 2013 at 6:44 am

I like your idea of using it to help with stitching down the quilt sleeve. Thank you & Merry Christmas!

90. 91 Rose
    December 20, 2013 at 6:46 am

I agree this does sound a lot better than having to use the metal applicator. I think I need it to hold down some of my wool appliqué, thanks.

91. 92 Gina
    December 20, 2013 at 6:53 am

I agree this is the best thing to use!

92. 93 Jill
    December 20, 2013 at 6:53 am

Love the Glue-Baste-It, and use it all the time.

93. 94 Sylvia
    December 20, 2013 at 7:20 am

Sounds like another item for the birthday list next year.

94. 95 Jane
    December 20, 2013 at 7:34 am

I use this glue all the time, it works very well for wool!

95. 96 Dee
    December 20, 2013 at 7:56 am

I have the old metal tipped bottle – and it is a pain in the patoot to clean out. I would love this. I use the glue to temporarily baste my binding down on the back side to make it more portable to hand stitch.

96. 97 Karla T
    December 20, 2013 at 8:08 am

I have never tried glue baste it– i always thought the little silver needle in it was kind of cool and distinctive, but it is good to know before i got some and found that out! I will have to try this new one, I am not much of an applique person, but there have been times I wish I had something like this- Thanks Lisa for doing all the research on these things so we don’t have to!

97. 98 Mary Kastner
    December 20, 2013 at 8:18 am

I guess I need to get a new bottle. I do like this glue. Thanks for the chance to win and happy Holidays.

Mary

98. 99 Patti O'Donnell
    December 20, 2013 at 8:19 am

I love the Glue-Baste it. It is so much easier to use. PattiO

99. 100 Lisa
    December 20, 2013 at 8:27 am

Thanks for the helpful tips. I have several applique projects in the works and look forward to using this new version of glue.

100. 101 Pat D
    December 20, 2013 at 8:31 am

That glue is so great. I use it on any applique.

101. 102 Lynn in Madison
    December 20, 2013 at 8:51 am

I have never glued very much – I’ll have to give it a try. Thanks for the suggestions. Happy Holidays!

December 20, 2013 at 8:51 am

This glue is calling my name. I am so frustrated with the plugged metal tip on my glue bottle – which by the way isn’t easy to unplug. I’m definitely ordering this, and an extra bottle for a gift.

103. 104 Janet Kay
    December 20, 2013 at 8:52 am

The new Roxanne glue would work great on your new tulip pattern quilt!

104. 105 Lisa LK
    December 20, 2013 at 8:55 am

I use this glue often, but didn’t know they came up with a new applicator. Can’t wait to see your new quilt and fabric line!

105. 106 Lori Albrechtsen
    December 20, 2013 at 9:35 am

I LOVE this glue but know what you are talking about when you say the the needle gets plugged! I was unaware that they have a new packaging that would take care of that! Thank you for keeping me informed on all the latest and greatest, but best of all, the items that are actually USEFUL!

106. 108 Mary C.
    December 20, 2013 at 10:46 am

I’m glad to see they changed the bottle and did away with the plugged needle. A new bottle of this is going on my list.

107. 109 Helen
    December 20, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Thanks for letting me know about this product. I loved the product, but that needle that always got plugged was so annoying!

I love your new Homestead Gatherings line. It would be perfect for the APQ Tone it Down quilt!

108. 110 Elizabeth Monahan
    December 20, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I have to try this now — I’d avoided it after hearing of problems with the needle tip gumming up.

109. 111 Janet
    December 20, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I’d love to try this on … I just use the old stuff with a toothpick … this’d be so much easier!

110. December 21, 2013 at 6:52 am

I love using this glue for applique! or sometimes we called it glueplique! A word of caution-Keep your glass of water away from your project. I once spilt a glass of water on a very detailed applique project and all my work was washed away!

111. 113 babareeba
    December 21, 2013 at 8:29 am

Oh this is definitely going on my wishlist

112. 114 Susan Cook
    December 21, 2013 at 10:31 am

I love this glue, but haven’t tried the new and improved applicator. Would love to win this one?