Day 10…Needful things for Quilters

12 Days of Christmas 10

Day 10….It is nice to see all the great comments about how much you love these posts…at least I know I am not wasting anyones time…so keep commenting!

I want you all to know that I am NOT a gadget person…I only buy what I know I will use…unlike my friend Nancy who has to have everything, but she loves her quilting stuff…and if you ever need something she has it!  She also is fun to shop with she gets so excited about something new and then makes 12 of them before she can stop and move on to the next thing….Got to love the Nancy’s in the world…

The next item up for discussion is The Strip Stick…hmmm…now I have to say I use this in just about every block I make and especially if I am making a tiny quilt where MOST of the seams need to be press open to distribute the bulk…so here is why we need this….When pressing seams open:

1.  Does not mess up the other seams around it.

2.  I don’t seem to burn my fingers trying  to separate the seam- with the hard stick under it they sort of flop to the side easier…

3.  You can also press them to one side too….

4.  They come in 3 sizes…45″, 18″ and then mini which I think is 6″…

The 45″ is great for rows that need to be pressed open, also sashings, borders and large strip sets selvage to selvage…as well as all blocks…this is the one to get if you only want to buy one.

The 18″ is great for any open seam pressing in blocks or small strip sets..

Now… I don’t need the mini, because I can use the 18″ for any smaller seams…but maybe someone requested it for traveling  for mini blocks…my guess is there was some waste and they just covered it and now there is a mini too!!!

IMG_0680But  seriously…I only had one of each of the 45″ and 18″ and I have several spots I stitch in…so I found myself cussing that I did not remember to get another set of these for the Lakehouse and the Gathering…so because of this post…I now have that second set.  I talked with Richard who sells them and he advised us the cheapest way to ship them …also, if anything every happens to your stick…its has a Warranty:  Return the Strip Stick at any time for any reason and receive a new one of the same size free…

I have put both of the sticks on sale here on our website:  STRIP STICKS

stripstickFor yesterdays winner…we have a 6×12 omni grid along with some more 5″ Charm pack of Floral Gatherings Shirtings…The winner is..

1. Debbie Reber

December 14, 2013 at 6:46 pm

A quilter can NEVER have too many rulers! I love Creative grids rulers, wish I could buy them all!

Debbie…please send me your address at primitivegatheringsquiltshop@yahoo.com   and we will send out your prize!  PS…Nick is picking numbers for the winners…if you look at the comments each one has a number….

About these ads

219 Responses to “Day 10…Needful things for Quilters”

1. 1 Peggy Dalberto
    December 15, 2013 at 10:42 am

Lisa, wow, this makes sense. I am so tired of burned finger tips (I need my fingers for pottery) when I am pressing. This could make a “chore” less so. And thanks about the tip with pressing open seams on tiny quilts. hmmmm
    peg

2. 2 Julie A.
    December 15, 2013 at 10:43 am

This looks like a “must have”. No more burnded fingers :)

3. 3 marie
    December 15, 2013 at 10:43 am

Wow—–thanks for this tip, had never heard of these. Yep, I have burned my fingers many times.

4. 4 Renee
    December 15, 2013 at 10:44 am

I have never heard of a strip stick, but it seems like it would really help with pressing. I am looking forward to trying it!

December 15, 2013 at 10:45 am

I have never heard of a Strip Stick, but it is a must have. I’m working on several small quilts and I’m always burning my fingers…I love gadgets!

6. December 15, 2013 at 10:49 am

I’ve never seen these before and sure could have used one last night! Thanks for the info–another gadget I will have to have!

7. 7 Karen Schneider
    December 15, 2013 at 10:49 am

I needed that strp stick last week as I was putting strip sets together for your pattern Flower Penney Garden. What a great idea.

8. 8 Donna W
    December 15, 2013 at 10:50 am

Lisa, these strip sticks look like a “must have” in every ones sewing room. Well, I know I need some. Looks like no more burned fingers. Thanks for these posts about notions.

9. 9 Deborah K
    December 15, 2013 at 10:50 am

I’ve not tried these strip sticks either…..Would think I should add them to my gadget collection!

10. December 15, 2013 at 10:50 am

It`s the first time I see that tool.This is a great heper that must be added to our tools!

11. 11 Sandy D
    December 15, 2013 at 10:51 am

This is a great gadget I too have never heard of this. I have many a burned fingers this would cure that problem.

12. 12 Linda Biondo
    December 15, 2013 at 10:52 am

Awesome! I sew in a small space and using the ironing board gives me no room to move in my sewing room! This would be great to have to use on the table! !

13. December 15, 2013 at 10:52 am

Much like your friend I too am a gadget person! Ooooh, I’ve heard of these pressing bars and I definitely must have one!!!!

14. 14 Brenda Y
    December 15, 2013 at 10:52 am

WOW, What a great idea Lisa, I have not seen this before but sure looks like something that would be neat to try. Keep the needful things coming, you have such great projects!!!

15. 15 Debbie G
    December 15, 2013 at 10:53 am

I may look into this. I have been pressuring more seams open lately to get a flatter finish. It reduces the bulk and humps for me. I am not a gadget person either as I think buying fabric is a better use of my $$$. My sister is a gadget person though so may check to see if she has used these. I hope Santa doesn’t bring Nick coal for his stocking for not picking me!! 🎅

16. 16 Sheila Plock
    December 15, 2013 at 10:55 am

Another great tip about something I didnt even know existed, thanks again Lisa.

17. 17 Dianek
    December 15, 2013 at 10:56 am

Very interesting…a tool that I have not seen before. Loots like a must-have.

18. 18 Sandy K
    December 15, 2013 at 10:57 am

Wonderful gadget! I want them too.

19. 19 Glynis
    December 15, 2013 at 10:57 am

What a great tool to have . Thanks for letting us know about them.

• 20 RuthJ
      December 15, 2013 at 11:00 am

I’m not a gadget person either but this tool makes sense to me – anything that makes pressing seems easier and more accurate. Looks like a good gift for my quilting buddies.

20. 21 Cheryl Gaines
    December 15, 2013 at 10:57 am

What a great idea. Just love it. No more burning fingers or not as much.

21. 22 Vicki H
    December 15, 2013 at 10:58 am

I have not seen these before. I would love the 18″ size.

22. 23 Jane Ahler
    December 15, 2013 at 11:02 am

What a great idea! I love reading your lists, keep the gadgets coming!

23. 24 Terri McBride
    December 15, 2013 at 11:02 am

Okay this is a great post for two reasons first is I am mostly a self taught quilter so reading the quilting blogs has helped me so much and now I know you don’t always iron your seams to one side and this is why my smaller stars have so much bulk and are hard to quilt yay, thank you so much for that. So on that theme this tool looks like the greatest thing can’t wait to get it and try it out. These posts are very helpful.

24. 25 Pam
    December 15, 2013 at 11:02 am

Awesome tool! How many times I have had to re-pres because I pressed wrinkles into adjoining areas. Thanks for sharing!!

25. 26 wendy in san diego
    December 15, 2013 at 11:02 am

My friend was just recently telling our group about this method of pressing. I am a gadget gal and probably need one of these. Sounds like 18″ is very versatile.

26. 27 Carol Eberhardt
    December 15, 2013 at 11:05 am

Just when you think you have seen it all … Strip sticks! Great idea … I iron all my seams open and have the burnt fingertips to prove it!

27. 28 Stacey larson
    December 15, 2013 at 11:08 am

Congrats Debbie thanks Lisa I am a got have it person as you already probably know but never heard of these like your friend nancy I’m the go to so this will be joining my list of what to get from the 12 days . Hope you’re over your sick stuff. Can’t wait to see what comes tomorrow!

28. 29 Candee Abraham
    December 15, 2013 at 11:08 am

So glad your Christmas posts are back! I miss the blog hop. Just received your new mug filled with fabric – love it!

29. 30 Rita
    December 15, 2013 at 11:09 am

These look very interesting. I make small blocks all the time and this will be a helpful tools. Merry Christmas!

30. 31 robinttttt
    December 15, 2013 at 11:10 am

This is a tool new to me. I would love to try it. When I win (positive thinking) I will have lots of opportunities! Thank you!

31. 32 Carolyn
    December 15, 2013 at 11:11 am

I am a pressing fanatic!! I have worn out irons.,..I just might need these!!

32. 33 Jane
    December 15, 2013 at 11:13 am

This is definitely something I will have to try. Love these 12 days of Christmas posts & all your great ideas.

33. 34 Lynda Malloy
    December 15, 2013 at 11:16 am

These are new to me, and sound like something I need for a number of reasons, not least of all my burnt fingers!

34. 35 Sullivan
    December 15, 2013 at 11:17 am

Wow. I have never even heard of these. And I’m just working on a project where I’m opening seams and can’t wait to try these. Getting tired of burning my little fingers…

35. 36 Carole T
    December 15, 2013 at 11:17 am

This is a great tool that I can use to eliminate pressing the wrong seams. I do “need” this tool.

36. 37 sandy
    December 15, 2013 at 11:18 am

Never head of a strip stick but my burned fingers would sure appreciate it.

37. 38 Barb O
    December 15, 2013 at 11:19 am

I have never heard of these before but they sound great. Now,which size to try first. My sister is like your friend Nancy. If she finds something she likes she is on a roll making 10 or more at a time.

38. 39 Jan T
    December 15, 2013 at 11:19 am

This is an amazing product that I have used for a while. Love it!

39. 40 Kathy V
    December 15, 2013 at 11:20 am

I have never seen these before and I am definitely a gadget girl. What a great idea. One that I would certainly use.

(Lisa I really like your falling snowflakes….at first I thought I had a bug of some sort flying on my monitor!!)

40. 41 Debbie Reber
    December 15, 2013 at 11:20 am

Learned something new today, I hadn’t seen the strip sticks before, looks like they would be helpful!

December 15, 2013 at 11:20 am

First let me say I love your 12 days of Christmas. I have never heard of these but think I might have to get the 18 inch one, small projects are my passion.

42. 43 Carleen
    December 15, 2013 at 11:20 am

Another great little tool! Thank you for the tips and tricks – I always learn something new here! And thank you for the 12 days of specials and chances to win one of these goodies, Lisa!

December 15, 2013 at 11:20 am

I’ve never seen these either but they look handy to get a deep crease. It’s snowing slow here, just like the snowflakes on your blog. Those make me smile every time they start coming down!

44. 45 Ann in PA
    December 15, 2013 at 11:21 am

I have heard of larger pressing tools for tailoring but these are PERFECT for our quilting needs….no lumpy seams & no burnt fingers!

45. December 15, 2013 at 11:21 am

I have never heard of this before. It sounds very useful and a quilter must have. Thanks for sharing.

46. 47 Mary Kastner
    December 15, 2013 at 11:22 am

Never heard of this stick BUT I make little Jo Morton repros a lot and open seams all the time. It looks terrific. Thank you for the chance to win and Happy Holidays to you and your kin.

Mary

47. 48 Judy Larson
    December 15, 2013 at 11:25 am

Glad to hear I wasn’t the only one that hadn’t heard of pressing strips before today! Talk about needful things! In fact, I hadn’t heard of the first or second day products. Good thing I get your blog! Judy

48. 49 Janice Mc Laren
    December 15, 2013 at 11:27 am

I’ve been wanting these for quite awhile. My parents always give cash for Christmas-just might have to get some new gadgets.

49. December 15, 2013 at 11:27 am

I wondered if these sticks were “worth it”! Sounds like a definitely! Thanks for the advice with all of your tips!

December 15, 2013 at 11:28 am

This is something i’d like to try. What’s it made of? Thanks for sharing another helpful tool.

51. 52 Linda
    December 15, 2013 at 11:31 am

I’m soooo tired of burned fingers. Must try them. Thanks for all your helpful hints. Linda

52. December 15, 2013 at 11:33 am

Wow! These are a ‘new to me’ gadget and a new ‘must have’.

53. 54 Jude
    December 15, 2013 at 11:35 am

Well, isn’t this the niftiest tool? Anything to make pressing more effective!

54. 55 Ann
    December 15, 2013 at 11:35 am

I have never seen these sticks before. They will save my fingertips when pressing seams open. Thanks for the tip Lisa.

December 15, 2013 at 11:37 am

I am a “gadget” person and have never seen these! Looks like I will have to get one of these as I do a lot of small piecing. Love your blog! You are so inspiring!

56. 57 Johanna
    December 15, 2013 at 11:38 am

This would be a very helpful item!

57. 58 Shirley
    December 15, 2013 at 11:41 am

First time I have seen an item like this, will definitely have to try them, for all the reasons you mentioned

58. 59 Sandy Kipphut
    December 15, 2013 at 11:43 am

I never saw these sticks before. One reason the 12 gadget’s of Christmas is awesome. Love reading them. Thanks Lisa

59. 60 Marsha Gardner
    December 15, 2013 at 11:44 am

I have never seen this! It looks very useful!

60. 61 Betty
    December 15, 2013 at 11:46 am

This is a new to me product and definitely worth trying–no more steamed fingers

61. December 15, 2013 at 11:48 am

I’m not a person that irons. Until quilting my husband ( a marine) did all ironing. 1st quilt class my instructor told me I needed to learn how to iron. I.was in my 50s and not ironing had worked for me so far. Now I only iron my seams and blocks. These will be very helpful.

62. 63 Sylvia
    December 15, 2013 at 11:49 am

You had me at, ‘does not seem to burn the fingers’. It seems I’m always sporting a burn here or there. What a clever idea. I also decided I had to have the seam ripper with the magic end, especially since I had an absolutely hellactious day yesterday sewing and ripping seams, over and over, because my brain, such as it is, was on overload and not processing properly. Today I am baking, taking a break from sewing.

63. December 15, 2013 at 11:52 am

I’m not a person who irons. The only thing I iron are my quilt blocks and seams. Looking forward to giving these strips a try.

64. 65 Toni R.
    December 15, 2013 at 11:54 am

What a great idea -thanks so much for sharing!

65. 66 Angelia L.
    December 15, 2013 at 11:55 am

You are certainly not wasting my time….as a new quilter I can use all the tips, hints, and inspiration I can get. I have never heard of the strip sticks either. If they save burnt fingers then they are a needful thing. Thank you and these tips are much appreciated.

December 15, 2013 at 11:59 am

Wow… never heard of them. And I’m like your friend Nancy… I LOVE gadgets. With my Mom it was kitchen gadgets and I have plenty of them too. :-) I’m keeping a list so I can order at the end! Thank you!

67. 68 Janet Kay
    December 15, 2013 at 11:59 am

I definitely see the usefulness of the strip stick. You can’t imagine how many times I could have used one of these in all my years of quilting. It could take away those frustrating moments of pressing some seams!! This is a for sure MUST have item!! Thanks for bringing this to our attention!!

68. December 15, 2013 at 11:59 am

This looks like a very kool and needful tool! Must put on my Santa wish list.

December 15, 2013 at 12:01 pm

At my last quilting sew in one of the gals there had one of these. Imagine a group of ladies standing around watching someone press seams open! But it really it amazing. Thanks, Lisa, for another great post!

70. 71 Sunnybec
    December 15, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Wow I’ve never seen these before, what a good idea, I am always catching my fingers with the iron

71. 72 Barbara D.
    December 15, 2013 at 12:08 pm

What a nifty idea. i I wish I would have thought of these!!

72. 73 Judy Berna
    December 15, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I make a lot of small blocks and this would be wonderful to press their seams open. I never heard of this before. Will have to check them out.

73. 74 KathyE
    December 15, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Imagine all the saved fingertips! What a great idea!

74. 75 Linda L
    December 15, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Wow, I love this. I haven’t heard of these either, what a helpful, “needful” notion. Besides saving my fingers from burns, it looks perfect for pressing strip sets so they stay straight. I struggle to keep strip sets from going “wonky”.

75. 76 Pat Robinson
    December 15, 2013 at 12:21 pm

This is a fantastic product! I have the 18″. You won’t regret the purchase! I am loving these posts! Stay warm and enjoy!

• 77 Sheila S
      December 15, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Oh my goodness! I have never heard of the strip stick so thank you so much for showing us that tool. Pressing my finished quilts is usually a pain and so I can see how that tool could be very helpful!

76. 78 Phaye
    December 15, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I have the medium size stick and I luv luv luv it. I picked up some good tips from your post. Thank you and Merry Christmas

77. 79 Laura Benthien
    December 15, 2013 at 12:29 pm

What a great new prooduct! it cetainly would come in hany when working in small areas!

78. 80 Rebecca H
    December 15, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I was pressing seams open one day and said someone needs to make something to make this easier. I didn’t know about these sticks, thanks for sharing about them. I will be buying one or two.

79. 81 Betty Lawson
    December 15, 2013 at 12:32 pm

This is one of those things that falls into the category of “Why didn’t I think of that??!!!” Great idea—

80. 82 Joleen
    December 15, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I have never heard of these before! But I can now see it is a must for my sewing notion collection! I am a lot like Nancy, always looking for something new to make life easier….lol…..

81. 83 Lana Cadwallader
    December 15, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Love ,love your posts. I knew there had to be a better way to press seams open–I’m ordering these, I’ve learned so much from your posts.

82. 84 Sharon Nejedlo
    December 15, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I have never seen these before. What a great idea! I love to iron (I know…weird) and anything that makes it more accurate is awesome.

83. 85 Sandy
    December 15, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I have to admit I’ve never seen this before. I obviously need one as I’ve burned my fingers on more than one occasion. Thanks for showing me something new, and on sale besides.

84. 86 Linda Vaughn
    December 15, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Wow…what a good idea! Perfect for the open seams on the little stars!

85. 87 Mary Jean P
    December 15, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Great to see something new…looks like a terrific timesaver and also saves your fingers from burns!

86. 88 Debbie Yarbrough
    December 15, 2013 at 1:12 pm

A guilting gadget that I have never seen! I have to have this, I am making a list for Santa, I have not been naughtily this year…….well maybe just a little but ……..whose counting!

87. 89 Patti
    December 15, 2013 at 1:17 pm

What a great gadget that I have not heard of. I also press a lot of seams open, and this would be so handy to have. Thanks for showing.

88. 90 Mary C.
    December 15, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I’ve never heard of this gadget before, and not burning my fingertips when pressing would definitely be a plus. Thanks Lisa!

89. 91 Natalie Newkirk
    December 15, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Wow! I never knew such tool existed!. Looks handy! I definitely need one to finish the PG tumbler kit I just completed! All it needs is to have the rows pressed!

90. 92 Leanne
    December 15, 2013 at 1:20 pm

OMG Where was this gadget last week when I really needed it…I’m still nursing one of my burnt fingers…lol! The strip stick is going on my after Christmas list. Keep the tips coming, it’s always fun to learn something new.
    Enjoy your day,
    Leanne

91. 93 Sue singer
    December 15, 2013 at 1:26 pm

These “toys are great.

92. 94 Pat D
    December 15, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Wow, what a great idea after I havealso ‘burned’ my fingers opening many of the seams on some of your small fabrics. Getting ready to sew the seams in the nine patch as I have all strips cut.

93. 95 Sharon Bennett
    December 15, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Hmmmm… I never even knew something like this existed… pretty kewl!

94. 96 Sally Parrish
    December 15, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Wow, sewing “hams” for quilters! Perfect new tool, thanks.

95. 97 Mary Pasewark
    December 15, 2013 at 1:42 pm

What a great idea! I am always having to repress all the seams with every row or block I add because I have gotten them all “catty-wompous”. I’m all about the gadgets that can speed up the tedious parts of the quilting process!

Mary Pasewark in Lubbock, TX

96. 98 michelle starr
    December 15, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Wow! I hate when I burn my fingers. It would be great to have a tool to stop the burning. Thanks for the tip! I would love to have one.

97. 99 Mary Jo Jones
    December 15, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I am really enjoying your posts Lisa!! I have never heard of this product and I can see why they would be so helpful! I can see that I am going to have to invest in a set also. Merry Christmas and thank you for all that you share:)

98. 100 Becky M
    December 15, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I have not seen these before. I will try anything to keep from distorting things when I press. Stii working on becoming an accurate piecer!

99. 101 Kathy J
    December 15, 2013 at 2:01 pm

LOVE the strip sticks! I have the two larger sizes but would adore the mini for retreats. And also to not take up so much real estate on my ironing board when working on tiny blocks!

100. December 15, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Thanks for the tip. I had never heard of strip sticks. I can see how useful they would be,

101. 103 Nora
    December 15, 2013 at 2:06 pm

W. I didn’t know that it was better to press the seems open on my strip quilts.Thank you. We need more than 12 Days of Christmas . How about 20?

102. 104 Pattie Gam Simpson
    December 15, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Wow”. No more burnt fingers. Not a real gadget person either but this looks really useful , please keep the great ideas coming!

103. December 15, 2013 at 2:09 pm

I’m not a gadget person either, but I’ve never seen these strip sticks before and will have to check them out at my local shops. My hubby bought me something from your list last year, and I just love it – Rowenta travel iron.

104. 106 Glenda in Florida
    December 15, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I’ve been searching for these strip sticks for over a year now–ever since Kimberly Einmo blogged about them. I keep googling, hoping that some store I stop in during my travels will have them, or I’ll find a vendor at the major show. I guess it’s time to order them on-line, and wrap them up from Santa.

105. December 15, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I am always amazed at the tools & gadgets that people’s imaginations come up with – this is a brilliant product!

106. 108 Steph M
    December 15, 2013 at 2:27 pm

OMG…the Strip stick is brilliant!! I HATE ironing seams open. I must have one (I’m not a gadget persons either)! Thanks again for your posts!!

• 109 Sara
      December 15, 2013 at 2:32 pm

What a great idea the strip sticks are. I could have used these today. I have learned so much from this site I think my quilting has improved so much from all you tips. Sara

107. 110 Carolyn Maynard
    December 15, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I was SO hoping you would do the Twelve Days of Christmas again this year! Love my little snips you recommended last year! Looking forward to Strip Sticks now! See you tomorrow – on your post. Thanks so much!

108. 111 Jane
    December 15, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Great clever item to have. I am always looking to make my quilting easier and faster.

December 15, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I’m in denial about being a gadget girl….hmmmmm but I think I might be. They all seem so useful to me. I have never seen a strip stick but oh my I need one. Love this 12 days of gadets.

110. December 15, 2013 at 2:37 pm

never heard of it but looks interesting

111. 114 Sydney Holmwood
    December 15, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I am such a huge fan of Primitive Gatherings! I have always been a gadget girl…almost 30 years! I have never seen these Strip Sticks but am positive I HAVE To have them! very soon!

112. 115 Sandie
    December 15, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I would love to be the winner

113. 116 Gina
    December 15, 2013 at 2:44 pm

These really are the best thing ever for pressing seams!!

114. 117 Linda W
    December 15, 2013 at 2:52 pm

What a fabulous idea. I never saw these before. Thanks for letting us know about them.

115. 118 Kris Dauth
    December 15, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I have never seen this product before but I’m sure they help to keep the blocks/seam line straight. If you praise the use of them, they MUST be a useful tool. When I first started quilting, I was also a gadget person. Now, I need to justify how much I will use the new tool before making the purchase. This Needful Thing will be a new addition to my wish list.

116. 119 Audrey G.
    December 15, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I think your creating collecting monsters from these posts! I just may use this une if it prevents those scorched fingers.

117. 120 Cathy Weatherford
    December 15, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Never seen these either. I went to my quilt guild party yesterday, and what did I receive but a seam fix. Had never heard of that either until I read the 12th day of Christmas. How cool for me. glad you seem to be feeling better

118. 121 Karla
    December 15, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Awesome tool, I might have to get one of these.

119. 122 Susan
    December 15, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I’ve never seen these! That looks like a nice gadget. Thanks so much for posting these ideas!

December 15, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Strip stick – interesting, I never heard of it, learn something new every day! Now I’m curious to try it.

121. 124 Rose
    December 15, 2013 at 3:51 pm

A quilting buddy told me about the strip stick, but this is the first time I have ever seen one. Seems like the perfect tool to keep me from burnt fingers. I wait all year for your Christmas hints and tips about your favortie products!

December 15, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Never heard of a Strip Stick. Looks like a great tool to have. Would love to try it.

123. 126 marlene
    December 15, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Wow – in the past 3 days you have given us very helpful hints to make quilting more fun! I love the finished quilt but sometimes the “getting there” is a real pain in the rear. Thanks, I look forward to each of your tips every day. Merry Christmas and I hope you are feeling better.

124. 127 Marlene
    December 15, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I have never heard of these either. Thanks for the chance to win. I would love to try them.

125. December 15, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I don’t usual press seams open (old school) but on a small project I could see how this would help. I did put one in my shopping cart!

126. 129 Cheryl Keown
    December 15, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Never heard of the strip stick. Putting it on my wish list. Thank you for all your wonderful tips.

127. 130 Debby C
    December 15, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Never heard of this little gadget would love to try one. Keep the tips and ideas coming

128. 131 Rose Jeter
    December 15, 2013 at 4:42 pm

My mother and your friend Nancy need to get together, my mother has every gadget know to mankind and then some, and she just can not understand how I can make one thing without all those gadgets and is always trying to buy me some kind of gadget, I love the simplicity of my sewing, would go crazy with all the stuff she has. I do think I need one of those strip sticks though, as I too love to make the “mini” quilts. Thank you so much for sharing all the great things that you have learned a long the way.

129. 132 Amy McC
    December 15, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Love this!! Never ever saw this before. Thanks for sharing.

130. 134 Janet
    December 15, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I have never heard of this either, and what a great idea! I’ve been making a lot of tiny (3″) blocks lately and those open seams can be a real PITA!! Thanks once again!

131. 135 Yvonne
    December 15, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I have the set of sticks. Which I do use the 18 one the most. The twelve days are always fun!!!

132. 136 Sandi s
    December 15, 2013 at 4:58 pm

This looks pretty neat!

133. 137 Kathy Cadilek
    December 15, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I saw these when I went to a quilt show this summer but they didn’t have the length I wanted. I then forgot all about them, thanks for the reminder!!

134. 138 Cindy
    December 15, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I didn’t know about these little guys. They will save my fingers for sure.
    Thank you!

135. 139 Kathy Roloff
    December 15, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Count me as another clueless quilter. These look like a must for my sewing stash.
    Thanks!

136. 140 Barb Mapes
    December 15, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I haven’t seen the stick before but can certainly see where it would come in handy! Love this series of handy gadgets, thanks for doing this!
    Barb in the Midwest

137. 141 Mary Ellen A
    December 15, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Love the idea of these sticks as it is hard not to mess up other seams on the back when pressing!

138. 142 Pamela Miller
    December 15, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Great looking tool. I would love to have this-no more burned fingers!

139. 143 Rebecca
    December 15, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Had never heard of them! Thank you!!

140. 144 Cecilia
    December 15, 2013 at 5:30 pm

This looks great! I hate burning my fingers when I’m trying to press seams open. Thanks for the heads up.

141. 145 Rosemary Redhead
    December 15, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Well how cool is that?
    Redhead

142. 146 Nancy D
    December 15, 2013 at 5:49 pm

This little gadget looks very cool! I have burned my fingers so many times trying to press seams open!

143. December 15, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I saw these at the Lancaster quilt show but was not sure how well they really work. May have to give them a second look!!!

144. 148 Fran Bianchi
    December 15, 2013 at 6:06 pm

My local quilt shop has “Strip Club” every other month and I really could have used these all year! I have
    never seen these before but it’s going on my wish list. I love the 12 days of needful things, we get so many great tips and tricks from you. Keep up the good work and Happy Holidays to you and everyone following these posts.

145. 149 Barbara
    December 15, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I have never seen these before. They look like one of those must-haves. Thanks for all your tips.

146. 150 Marilyn
    December 15, 2013 at 6:17 pm

These sound great. Thanks for sharing and for the chance to win. Have a wonderful holiday!

147. 151 Martha C., Alpharetta, Ga.
    December 15, 2013 at 6:20 pm

These are the greatest! I only have one set so another is just what I need! Love your tips!

148. 152 Kathy Havelka
    December 15, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I’ve never seen these before.
    Must have. Now!

149. 153 Alice Borge
    December 15, 2013 at 6:26 pm

BEST GADGET EVER!!!

150. 154 Kim Kopac
    December 15, 2013 at 6:32 pm

These look great – Another little thing that I could use – my fingers would thank me lol

151. 155 Lori Albrechtsen
    December 15, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I love this idea! I always seem to burn my fingers. This will be a must have! Thanks Lisa!

152. 156 Twyla
    December 15, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I love your gadget suggestions and look forward to them. I got quite a few from your last years list and use them all the time. Thanks for your suggestions.

153. December 15, 2013 at 6:57 pm

OMG…I wish I’d have invented these. I must add these to my quilt stuff. Thanks for sharing such helpful
    items.

154. 158 Sue H.
    December 15, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I have never seen these before, I will be checking them out.

155. December 15, 2013 at 7:32 pm

What a great idea! A must have for sure!

December 15, 2013 at 7:34 pm

I was pressing long strip sets last night and I thought to myself that I wish there was something to help keep the seams from getting the little puckers. This looks awesome. Definitely will be ordering this tool.

157. 161 Kathy Elwood
    December 15, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I’ve never heard of these before! I’d definitely like to have them when I’m making mini quilts. Thanks for sharing about these!

158. 162 Rita Nichols
    December 15, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I have never seen or heard of such a thing! Thanks for bringing it to my attention, it sure looks handy. I think Santa is done shopping for me but I may have to treat myself after the New Year.

159. 163 Sue kraft
    December 15, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Of course, this makes sense. Looks like a great solution for pressing those seams open.

December 15, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I have never seen these before. What an awesome idea. Thanks for sharing the 12 days of Christmas.

161. 165 Pam
    December 15, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I have been pressing seams open for a long time. This item sounds like a great idea! I like making small blocks and might give this a try. Thanks for the tip.

162. 166 Margaret Dugaw
    December 15, 2013 at 7:50 pm

I’ve never seen these, but would love to try them.

163. 167 Karen S
    December 15, 2013 at 7:56 pm

That looks like an incredibly useful tool. Reminds me of the old “sleeve pressing” roles of days gone by. These posts are so helpful, Lisa. Thank you!

164. 168 Cindi P
    December 15, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I would prefer to press seams open but am constantly burning my fingers…what a great tool! Thanks

165. 169 Charmaine
    December 15, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I learn so much from you, Lisa! Thanks for all the tips and the opportunity to win :) Merry Christmas to you and your family.

166. 170 Michelle
    December 15, 2013 at 8:38 pm

What a neat idea!!! I’ve never seen a strip stick but I’m going to get one now. Thanks for showing us all these cool gadgets! :)

167. 171 Fay
    December 15, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Would love to give these a try. Crossing my fingers I am lucky and win.

168. December 15, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I would love to give these a try!!!!

169. 173 Karla Pickhinke
    December 15, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Have never seen these! Would sure love 1! Gonna hafta put this on my Christmas list!

170. 174 Kristy
    December 15, 2013 at 9:15 pm

How is it that I am the ironing queen and I have never seen these? I would love to try the STRIP STICK out.

171. 175 suejean1
    December 15, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Wow, the strip stick looks like a really handy tool. I did not even know that they existed. Thank-you Lisa. Hope you are continuing to feel better every day.

172. 176 Kathryn Casavant
    December 15, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Can I have these items sent? I like the strip sticks. Would like one of each size. Like your posts keep them coming.

173. 177 stacy
    December 15, 2013 at 9:57 pm

I have never seen this before. What an awesome tool. This is a must have.
    Stacy M

174. 178 Carolyn Vogel
    December 15, 2013 at 10:13 pm

This looks like a must have. Would be great for those wool seams too.

175. 179 kelly
    December 15, 2013 at 10:13 pm

This is a must have for me! Love the emails Lisa, how about doing a too of the day every day? :)

176. 180 Debby
    December 15, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Never heard of such a thing but think I need it!!

177. 181 Pat Briggeman
    December 15, 2013 at 10:42 pm

These look really useful. Have never used but will definitely give it a try. Thanks for your suggestions, Lisa!

178. 182 Vicky C.
    December 15, 2013 at 11:03 pm

What a great “gift” you just gave to all of us!
    I had no idea there was anything like this out there – thanks!

179. December 16, 2013 at 12:00 am

I had never heard of a stick strip before. Thanks for showing us. It looks neat!
    Lisa

180. 184 Barb G.
    December 16, 2013 at 12:08 am

What a great idea!

December 16, 2013 at 12:15 am

Hmmmm…never heard of a strip stick…what a great idea…always impressed when someone comes up with a great idea which we all find so helpful!!! Thanks for the info and sale!!

182. 186 Jenny Huntly
    December 16, 2013 at 3:20 am

This is a great invention, got one for doing Jo’s little women, did not know about 45 inch, this must be great for larger seams.

183. 187 Penny
    December 16, 2013 at 3:52 am

About a year ago I read about these, so my DH and DS cut a broom handle in half and then did some sanding and alterations on it. I don’t think it works as well as the original but is better than nothing. Mind you I still have not covered it, I lay batting over it when needed. Maybe that is why it doesn’t work as good as it should. The 45″ would be useful. Hope you feeling better.

184. December 16, 2013 at 4:09 am

I so…so…so…agree with you. I too own these wonderful sticks and LOVE THEM!!! So glad yo are feeling better! Merry Christmas to you and Nick and the boys and family! Give your mom a hug from me! Gloria

185. 189 jmniffer
    December 16, 2013 at 6:40 am

I have heard about these sticks but have never had the opportunity to use one. It sounds like just the thing to press my seams open without burning my fingers.

December 16, 2013 at 6:57 am

What a great idea! I can’t wait to try the Strip Stick!

187. 191 Sherry Bousley
    December 16, 2013 at 7:47 am

I had never seen these before…what a clever idea! Thank you for all the “needful things” you are introducing us to, Lisa :-)

188. 192 Karen Myers
    December 16, 2013 at 8:02 am

I have not seen this strip stick but I definitely need it! What a fabulous item and useful. Thanks for sharing!

189. 193 jackie
    December 16, 2013 at 8:13 am

Wonderful products, can’t wait to order. Thanks for sharing and showing us.

190. 194 Diane Beckler
    December 16, 2013 at 8:43 am

I have to admit I AM a gadget person. And this looks like something I really NEED to try!

191. 195 Rose
    December 16, 2013 at 9:28 am

It looks like I’m going to be buying myself a new “gadget”! These look so cool and a great help for pressing those open seams.

192. 196 Janice
    December 16, 2013 at 9:29 am

What a great idea! I am always burning my fingers.

193. December 16, 2013 at 9:33 am

Are you kidding, Lisa? Who could NOT want to read your great messages! I have a strip stick and think it is the coolest gadget out there! Keep your posts coming!!

December 16, 2013 at 9:39 am

I do lots of mini quilts that need open seams. This sounds like a good gadget to have.

Charlotte S.

195. 199 rose f. white
    December 16, 2013 at 9:42 am

I have not seen the Strip Sticks where I live……but will definitely buy the 18″ one for my quilting room. Thanks for the tip, Lisa.

196. 200 Lisa
    December 16, 2013 at 9:43 am

These sound great1 Never knew they existed until you wrote about them. I am ordering a set.

197. 201 Kathy Y
    December 16, 2013 at 9:53 am

I am a gadget person and have never seen these. Might have to buy myself a Christmas gift. Keep the wonderful ideas coming.

198. 202 Emily Hinkel
    December 16, 2013 at 10:41 am

I love reading your blog! And sometimes I learn something, but always am entertained.
    Thanks for the posts!

199. 203 Sandy G.
    December 16, 2013 at 10:55 am

What a great idea. I’m going to put this on my Christmas list, I can’t wait to get it. Thanks for the tipss

200. 204 Leanne Sant
    December 16, 2013 at 11:00 am

Who knew there was such a great little tool! Thanks for sharing your secrets. Looking forward to seeing your other needful things….!

201. 205 MS Barb
    December 16, 2013 at 11:23 am

THis is the first I’ve heard of these strips! I like the looks of them! I’ve been wishing for a “ham” for when I press open pillowcase seams–wonder if this would work!

202. December 16, 2013 at 11:57 am

Thanks for all your tip’s, I love them all.

203. 207 Kristy
    December 16, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I just put two and two together….ST. NICK is choosing the numbers. :)

204. 208 Brenda Ottman
    December 16, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I wish I weren’t a gadget girl, but I think that is what I have become. This is something I’ve never seen before.
    Thanks for all your great tips, I love them.

205. 209 Dee
    December 16, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I’ve never see these reviewed before – wondered if they were a good tool. Thanks for the information.

206. 210 Anne Manly
    December 16, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Whoa! How fast can I order these? What genius came up with this idea – is she/he a quilter – or just tired of having scorched fingertips! Keep the great ideas coming Lisa – glad you’re watching out for us.

207. 211 Lori
    December 16, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I have never seen this before….thanks Lisa for l the great tips!! looking forward to more great items!

208. 212 janet
    December 16, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I have never seen these before. Tomorrow’s my birthday….this would be the perfect gift!!! hint hint…jmh

209. 213 Barbara F.
    December 16, 2013 at 2:12 pm

This is one of the best notions I’ve purchased! I use the 18″ the most, as I can easily put it in my bag and take it to sit & sews.

December 16, 2013 at 5:39 pm

What a cool item! I’m going to have to get one.

211. December 16, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Have not seen or heard about this gadget! Would love to have one!!

212. 216 Sandy
    December 16, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Brilliant!!! I have never seen these before and they are a must have!

213. December 16, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I am all for making the quilting process easier…and these look fantastic!! Thank you so much for sharing!
    Have a wonderful Christmas!
    Paulette

214. February 22, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Its like you read my mind! You appear to grasp
    a lot approximately this, such as you wrote the e-book in it or something.
    I believe that you simply could do with some percent to drive
    the message house a bit, however instead
    of that, this is excellent blog. An excellent read. I’ll definitely be back.