Jan

2017 Triangle Gatherings!!!

triangle-gatherings

How about another Stitch-Along!!! I know…I know…some of you do not have your Magic of Christmas blocks done!  (That’s OK, I’m still working on my setting..but I love seeing the quilts coming together on our #magicofchristmasquilt  tag on instagram…)

This Triangle Gatherings stitch along is going to be SUPER easy….one block a week…ok..there may be some bonus blocks…but they all will be made with ALL HST’s……I know a lot of you bought these wonderful Triangle Papers for 5″Charm squares…soooo why not do a Stitch- Along.  Here’s the deal…you can use those Moda charms you’ve been collecting…or…you can use your scraps…or you can go to our site and get some!!! I just had so much fun with the Magic of Christmas…I want to continue with something else…If you did not order any Triangle Papers for Charms you can do but look at the diagrams below and  pick what size blocks you are going to stitch…1/2″ TP will make 2″ finished blocks…3/4″ TP will make 3″ finished blocks…and 1″ will make 4″ blocks…I know you are not afraid of making little blocks now…so lets just do this…(I borrowed that from Home Depot)  YOU DO NOT HAVE TO MAKE ALL THREE SIZES.  Unless you want to…. But  you want to make the same size blocks for your quilt…so if you decide your going to make 3″ blocks…you going to use 3/4″ HST papers and you are going to make all the blocks 3″, I’m just giving you 3 sizes to choose from that’s all…I know some of you will do something crazy but hey…that’s fine…

Below are example of what you will need to start each block…finished means after it is stitched into the quilt…unfinished means what the single block will measure not stitched in the quilt yet…

fullsizerender-6

This is what you will need to make a 2″ finished- 2 1/2″ unfinished

To purchase 1/2″ HST Paper click HERE

img_9376

This is what you will need to make a 3″ finished block…3 1/2″ unfinished

To purchase 3/4″ HST Charm paper click HERE

img_9374

This is what you will need to make 1 – 4″ finished block…4 1/2″ unfinished

To purchase 1″ HST Triangle Charm Paper click HERE

I am going to use one background for all my blocks…which will be the lightest Primitive Muslin…it is looking really cream in these photos…it is really more white…with a little dingy tan to it…

1 yard yields 48- 5″ squares per yard- I have over 85ish blocks configured…so this will help you determine how much yardage you will need for JUST the blocks…1864_09120-350x350

This is a better pic from our website…Primitive Muslin Tallow  if you want to use the same background as me…I am going to use a bunch of colors that will look good in the lake house…light and dark grays, yellows, blacks, light and dark blues…(seems to be all about the house lately)…ALL fabrics will look good with this PG light muslin…or any of the PG muslins….we also have lots of other little teeny tiny background prints to choose from in the Primitive Gatherings Moda lines…as you know thats what we do is small prints…and I would really REALLY appreciate you using one of my Moda fabrics from Primitive Gatherings!!! So check your stash…you are going to need at least 2 yards if you make all the blocks…for the 2″ and 3″ finished blocks…double that if you are making 4″ blocks because you need 2 for each block…

If you are looking for pre-cut 5″ charms…we have lots…remember if you are making the 4″ blocks you will need 2 of the same 5″ charms …5″CHARMS  Also…do not think you have to use one background.  You can use scrappy lights and it will look just fine!!   You also can use more than one color in the blocks if you wish…the possibilities are endless…

If you need a refresher/demo on the HST paper click HERE

Shown below are all three sized blocks…the little fabric pack is 2 1/2″ just for size/scale recognition…See all the blocks are made up of ALL HST’s!!!  I have not stitched one NEW block yet…these are one’s I had from demo HST papers….can’t wait to start!

lisa-bongean-triangle-blocks

Who’s in?… Are you making  2,3 or 4″ blocks? decisions….decisions…If you have any questions…(that I have NOT already answered in this post) please leave a comment…

I’ll be posting block 1 by the end of the week!  its -6 degree here….. -30 degrees with the wind too cold to do anything but stitch…

All for now….hope you can sleep tonight instead of dreaming of HST’s!!!

91 Responses to “2017 Triangle Gatherings!!!”

1. 1 Maryella
    January 6, 2017 at 5:53 am

I love your ideas. I’m in. Thank you.

2. January 6, 2017 at 5:58 am

When you are talking block size, are you talking the size of the finished half square triangles or the entire block? I usually make 1″ finished half square triangles, and think I should join this sew along. I hope all my blocks can just be two color blocks.

• January 6, 2017 at 6:20 am

Entire block..and yes I am making mine just two colors…but they could be mixed up…but the easy way to go is to make them two color blocks

• 4 Quilting In The Country
        January 6, 2017 at 5:28 pm

I can’t seem to find the 1/2″, 3/4″ or 1″ finished triangle paper sheets that are not for charms, do you still have those somewhere? All my half square triangles will be the same red and white fabrics.

• January 7, 2017 at 6:35 am

under NEEDFUL THINGS—NOTIONS…Scroll until you find your size…lots of thing in this category

3. January 6, 2017 at 6:09 am

I’m in. I love these little blocks!!! My mind is already running with possibilities

4. 7 Casey Longenecker
    January 6, 2017 at 6:13 am

Oh this looks like fun! Im in!!

5. 8 valleystitcher
    January 6, 2017 at 6:16 am

Hi Patty, hope you and your family had a wonderful holiday. Excited about Feb at Claytor Lake. Will we be 8 people in total? Yours, Margaret

Sent from my iPad

6. 10 valleystitcher
    January 6, 2017 at 6:19 am

I am sorry? I was reading your site and wrote to a friend. Sorry. Yours, Margaret

Sent from my iPad

• 11 Ann Weaver
      January 6, 2017 at 12:19 pm

HI Lisa: I am very excited about the sew along and plan on ordering the papers. I usually oversize and trim down, it will be fun to try a new method. PRESSING TIP: I love miniature blocks and this has help me achieve a nice flat block where the seams stay open. Give the block or unit and puff of steam and place a ruler (right side down) on top of the block and let it stay until the block has cooled. Happy sewing and thanks Ann

7. January 6, 2017 at 6:19 am

Im in girl…i missed the last one. Hmmmmm now to choose a size..hmmmmmm we are off to Atlanta tomorrow morning. Ill send pictures!!! Love YOU!!!!

8. 13 Hildy
    January 6, 2017 at 6:26 am

One block a week sounds doable ad like a lot of fun!

9. 14 Paula Philpot
    January 6, 2017 at 6:44 am

I’m in, I am still working on the last one but I just love you giving US all this attention with your busy schedule. Paula in KY

10. 15 Pamela Schmitt
    January 6, 2017 at 6:51 am

I want to do all three sizes. I absolutely love these and can’t wait

11. 16 Marsha
    January 6, 2017 at 6:52 am

Love, love, love this! Totally in.

12. 17 Janine
    January 6, 2017 at 6:56 am

I’m in!!! I’m going to try to do all three sizes each with a different “theme.” I absolutely LOVE your sew alongs. Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

January 6, 2017 at 7:01 am

Love this. I am in.

14. January 6, 2017 at 7:11 am

I’m in! Can’t wait to start!

15. 20 Jill Defries
    January 6, 2017 at 7:12 am

Cute, very cute…..love them and I’m in.

16. 21 Bonita
    January 6, 2017 at 7:12 am

I’m up to the challenge of trying one of each size for the first block and then we will see- lol

17. 23 Robin Schlager
    January 6, 2017 at 7:14 am

Love this, I’m gonna do it.

18. 24 Julie Green
    January 6, 2017 at 7:14 am

I’m in, just ordered a pack of 3/4″ HST !!!

19. 25 Geri Sherwood
    January 6, 2017 at 7:18 am

I’m in even thought I am still working on the 45 blocks a week. I can’t pass this one up. I don’t know what size yet. They are all cute !!

20. 26 Laura
    January 6, 2017 at 7:30 am

If we are using charm packs, how many need to be in each charm pack? Some packs come with 45 some come with 38 etc. I have a package of the triangle paper for charm packs and may want to try them out on this

21. 28 Jonnie Nottingham
    January 6, 2017 at 7:33 am

I think I might like to do this. if I use the tallow muslin will the lights in the liberty gatherings or the snowman gatherings have enough contrast to use or, hmmmm, maybe I could rearrange the blocks to have the slightly darker colors on the outside edges and use the tallow for the “star” or inner shape. How many 3″ squares would a charm pack make – I usually do applique’ and am not very good at figuring yardage for something like this. Would it better to pick the darker liberty/snowman gatherings prints and buy yardage. Too many questions. Maybe I should call…

• 29 Jonnie Nottingham
      January 6, 2017 at 8:22 am

So, I’m in. Doing 3″ blocks and anxiously awaiting the Liberty Gatherings fabrics – printed and wovens. I’m going to mix them together. Big deep breath – my first adventure into small piecing. Yikes!

22. January 6, 2017 at 7:33 am

Ordered all the sizes of paper from the 12 days of Christmas, so my options are endless:)

23. 31 annie
    January 6, 2017 at 7:41 am

Happy new year! What a way to start the new year. Thank you for another stitch along=:) Loved Magic of Christmas!

24. 32 Jane Zagrodnik
    January 6, 2017 at 8:20 am

I am still working on the bowtie quilt. So I can use the 1″ HST paper for these as well? My friend and I bought the lots and lots of charm packs from your booth at Paducah a year ago. I love this idea to have papers….!!!!
    Oh and I am in on this too.

25. 33 Pat Braun
    January 6, 2017 at 8:25 am

Thank you for another stitch along! I haven’t decided which size to do yet.

26. January 6, 2017 at 8:50 am

Ordered 3/4″ and can’t wait to start!

27. 35 serenawelker
    January 6, 2017 at 9:01 am

Your killing me, I am stIill working on the Christmas blocks and I am learning alot. I just love your blocks! I am not sure I can make itty bitty blocks.

28. 36 Sue H
    January 6, 2017 at 9:25 am

Oh yes, yes! The smallest blocks for me! Thanks for another sew along, Lisa

29. 37 Jackie
    January 6, 2017 at 9:40 am

Hi Lisa, This sounds like so much fun. Do you know the name of the charm pack you will be using for your colors? Is there a pack with the yellows, greys, blues, blacks in them?
    Thank you so much.

30. 39 Lissa Rogers
    January 6, 2017 at 9:55 am

Well, there goes my resolve not to do any sew alongside this year! Thanks so much for making this freebie for us!

31. 41 Janet Salcido
    January 6, 2017 at 10:29 am

Hey, I am in. Looking forward to seeing you at Road to Calif.
    Janet from the Orange Quilt Bee

32. 42 Lana
    January 6, 2017 at 10:40 am

I’m in–not finished setting the last stitch- along , but unfinished projects have never stopped me from starting new ones before— now to decided on size! I love the cuteness of the 2″ but I struggle and have to sew slow– but I could improve my skills! Thank you- I love a good Stitch- Along and this means we will get to hear from you every week– a win, win!

33. 43 GML
    January 6, 2017 at 10:42 am

I’m in….I have purchased many triangle paper packets from you…..yippee!!

34. 44 Jeannie N
    January 6, 2017 at 11:26 am

when using these triangle papers, should I still starch my fabric wet-let dry ? OR because you are starting with a charm pack of fabric that step isn’t necessary?

35. 48 Carol joswick
    January 6, 2017 at 11:34 am

I’m in now that I will have the best machine to sew with….

36. 50 Abby
    January 6, 2017 at 12:44 pm

You state you have 85ish blocks configured ….will this be the total or are you planning for more…or better yet, do you have and intended finished quilt size in mind for the sizes mentioned? Trying to decide if I need to double or triple the number of blocks to achieve a certain size quilt. Sorry if it’s in the posting, I’ve read it multiple times and can’t see the light!

37. 51 Cheryl Keown
    January 6, 2017 at 1:03 pm

I’m in! So excited! My intention right now is to make the 4 inch blocks and incorporate them with the Magic of Christmas blocks to make one big quilt.

38. 54 Linda Davis
    January 6, 2017 at 2:05 pm

I plan to participate making the 3″ blocks. Right along I have been a real good PG shopper so will use those fabrics that are in stash. Probably lighter print backgrounds with assorted dark old look prints. I really do like working with your triangle papers ( using the 1/2″ now). Happy new year.

39. 56 Chris Giannascoli
    January 6, 2017 at 9:00 pm

Sounds like fun – I’m in! Just need to decide on size. Will there be a Facebook Group set up for the stitch-along? Thanks for all you do 😊

40. 58 Juareen
    January 7, 2017 at 9:08 am

If I wanted to make a bigger block what other size paper is available?

January 7, 2017 at 10:14 am

I am in!! I love these stitch alongs. On my way to get a background fabric & the HST. I think I will do the 5″..

42. 60 Mary Platt
    January 7, 2017 at 5:04 pm

Hi I’m in I have triangles on a roll Had them a long time so will be happy to use them they are 21/2

• January 8, 2017 at 8:44 am

Hi Mary!…I’m glad you are stitching with us!…and I get that you have some Triangles on a Roll…but do you realize that this is like slapping me in the face? Probably not..but I do these Stitch Alongs for two reasons….One because I love what I do and want to get everyone stitching and I love encouraging and giving prizes and so on…but I also do it to sell a few things along the way to stay in business…so it is better just to do the Stitch-Along and not outright tell me…”I’m going to use my 2 1/2″ triangles on a ROLL”…I’m not trying to be nasty in no way here…I’m just pointing out something you maybe didn’t even realize you are doing/did…I spend a lot of time designing, making the graphics and then posting…it’s just a way to make sure I continue to do these things…as a pack of triangle papers are $7 not a big investment…I truly appreciate that most of the quilters here go to my site and order the papers or buy a few charm packs…It makes me happy and OUR Triangle Papers are truly better/updated than whats currently out there!

43. 62 Delinda Lea
    January 7, 2017 at 11:33 pm

How delightful! Just discovered your blog and am so excited to follow along!

44. 63 Connie Cooper
    January 8, 2017 at 9:27 am

Can’t wait for my order to come to get started. The Christmas sew along was great – did one for each of my kids. Just finishing the settings for each. Love your work.

45. 64 Chris O'Dorisio
    January 8, 2017 at 10:13 am

Hi Lisa! 🙂 I do have a question….I am very interested in doing this . I have 2 Snowman Gatherings Charm packs that I have been saving for just the right thing 🙂 Would this be enough or would I need to purchase another charm pack? I was thinking I could mix the Snowman Gatherings II with the ones I already have. I guess it would be a little scrappy, but thats ok with me. Would I need to purchase a light background as well? I have never used the Triangle papers before but am willing to give it a try. 🙂 I really don’t have a clue which size to make! 🙂

• January 9, 2017 at 7:09 am

Chris…two charms packs will give you 40 blocks if you are doing 2 and 3″ blocks…it will only give you 20 if you are doing 4 and 6″…if you add a light background I don’t know if the lightest ones in the pack will be able to be used……if you like a low contrast look that is really popular now you could have up to 80 blocks if you use them…I hope this helps…
      If you have the variety pack of triangle paper charms you could make one of each size and then make the decision.

46. 66 Chris O'Dorisio
    January 9, 2017 at 9:46 am

Ok thanks Lisa!! I think I will pick up a layer cake of the Snowman Gatherings so I will definitely have enough to choose from. Gona order my triangle papers today!! 🙂 This will be fun!

47. 67 Cathy
    January 11, 2017 at 10:33 pm

Hi Lisa, this looks like so much fun! Thanks for all your hard work, the free patterns and great examples. I’m late getting started but am going to enjoy doing this anyway. I have to wait for my triangle papers so I better get them ordered and a layer cake. Tell the mailman to hurry along 😉

48. 68 Judy Howard
    January 12, 2017 at 11:15 am

I want to make the largest block – 4 inches. How many triangle papers do I need to order to complete the quilt? I want to use charm packs I already have. How many charm packs do I need?

• January 13, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Hi Judy…first the largest is 6″..but to you will need the same no matter if you do 4 or 6….so you will need 2- light square and 2 dark squares…so 174 charm papers…they come 60 to a pack so three packs…and you will need 174 light squares 87 prints 2 of each print…same for darks…hope this makes sense?

49. 70 Judith
    January 13, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Hi Lisa, I’m new to using triangle paper and would like to give it a try. What size paper would I need to use to make a 6 1/2″ block? Thanks so much for your time and I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

50. 72 Cherie
    January 14, 2017 at 4:44 pm

This will be fun and I’ve lots of precut modal PGA so great way to put them to use.
    How fun………

51. 73 Joan Torbett
    January 17, 2017 at 10:28 am

Love this idea! I think the 4″ blocks will be fun!

52. 74 Debbie
    January 17, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Hi Lisa, I’ve been trying to order some of the Half Square triangles, but since I can’t remember my password I can’t order. When I try to use an updated password that is automatically generated by the system it says that password and email don’t match. Help!

53. 76 Sharyn Newswanger
    January 17, 2017 at 7:05 pm

I would love to try this project

54. 77 Linda
    January 18, 2017 at 3:14 pm

I’m so excited about this! Trying to make up my mind about size so I can order my HST papers from you! May go completely scrappy, or shades of blues…I have a lake view too! Thanks for doing this!

55. 78 Karen peterson
    January 19, 2017 at 11:18 am

I’m a first timer for an online sew-along! Gotta get the triangle paper ordered… and pick out some fabric! Can’t wait to get started!

56. January 19, 2017 at 2:40 pm

Count me in! It’s been years since I participated in a BOM, or in this case, BOW. I love triangles! Have tons of Thangles to use up and fabric I’ve purchased from you at the Chicago quilt show in Rosemont. Hope you’ll be there again this year. Thanks for setting this up. Sue Myers

57. 80 Alice Zeman
    January 25, 2017 at 2:20 pm

I am sewing up my box of 2 1/2″ scrap triangles as the box is overflowing and found your BOW. Perfect timing. Now I can package my finished triangles in 16’s for future blocks. Thanks for this BOW.

58. 81 Sharyn Newswanger
    February 8, 2017 at 5:38 pm

I have made 10 4inch blocks but wasn’t able to figure out how to post them.

59. 82 brodine
    February 22, 2017 at 10:53 pm

Hello, I do not understand well, can you help me and tell me if with 3 mini charm pack I can achieve the bom by cutting the smallest measurements?

60. 84 Linda Davis
    March 9, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Boy, did I ever order more charm papers just in time. If it is small blocks, of course I will participate. Now to the cupboard to see if there is at least 2 yards of a pg background that I want to use. I know there are lots of pg charms and fabric cuts to use. Thanks Lisa.

61. 85 Jackie
    March 21, 2017 at 1:03 am

Hi Lisa; How do I sign up?

62. 86 Linda Cammilleri
    April 6, 2017 at 2:38 am

I just found your quilt along. Is it too late to join? I’m working on the 365 quilt challenge so small is not a problem. Please let me know if I can still join. Thanks

63. 88 Brenda Ann Beyer
    April 11, 2017 at 12:08 am

is it possible to still get the Magic of Christmas patterns???

64. 91 Susan Hosler
    June 26, 2017 at 9:01 pm

Can I make 6 inch blocks? And if so, what size triangle papers do I buy from Primitive Gatherings? Thank you.